Organs of Oberlin by Stephen Schnurr
Organs of Oberlin chronicles pipe organs at Oberlin College Conservatory
of Music and in the churches and residences of Oberlin, Ohio, in a
beautiful book of descriptions and 105 photographs, most in color,
displayed on large glossy pages. Included are 19th-century organs from
the 1854 Alvinza Andrews organ in the First Congregational Church to
famous 20th-century organs and several organs not yet installed.
sometime world's largest organ department and the town where it
thrives, world-class concert organs and many others have come and gone
over generations, all chronicled in this book with stoplists,
descriptions, histories, and photographs, including contributions by
builders such as Aeolian-Skinner, Austin, Bozeman-Gibson, Brombaugh, Estey, Fisk, Flentrop, Holtkamp, Möller,
Roosevelt, E. M. Skinner, and even a fabled Casavant organ that was never
built. Other builders represented include Carl Barckhoff, Gene Bedient, H. D. Blanchard, Frank Blashfield, Robert Byrd, Fritts-Richards, Hal Gober, Victor Gonzales, Guilbault-Thérien, E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings, William A. Johnson and Johnson & Son, Laukhuff, Lewis & Hitchcock, Lyon & Healy, Noack, Bruce Shull, and Joel Speerstra. The panorama continues with recently acquired organs soon to be
installed including one built by famed Bostonian Thomas Appleton in
1840, predating any other organ in the town.
James David Christie wrote
the Foreword. Photographers include William T. Van Pelt, Trevor Dodd,
Halbert Gober, and Stephen Schnurr with archival images gathered from
many sources. Hardbound, 160 pages about 9" x 12" with 105 photographs
(most in color).